Sunday, September 4, 2011

Kid Favorite- Spanish Wieners

My Kids favorite home made 'fast' food was and always will be... Spanish Wieners. I grew up eating this myself. I have no clue where this recipe came from and I've never seen it anywhere.I've heard it called BBQ Wieners and Spanish Weiners. I have stuck with Spanish Wieners since it does contain 'Spanish Paprika'.  It's so simple and really quick to make. I've never had a single adult or kids say they didn't like it. This is the recipe I have had to text to my kids and friends, the most. It's the one my kids said they missed the most once they got out on their own.

I make this, traditionally, with bread and butter and french fries. Keeping my freezer stocked with wieners and frozen french fries has been a life saver over the years. For the time it takes to heat the oven for pan baked fries, I can quick thaw the wieners and have dinner on the table before the fries come out of the oven!

When my kids were little they hated onions (they did grow out of it) so I learned to cut them in slivers so they could easily remove them, but the adults could still enjoy the onions. I started out making only 2 pks of Wieners but when my oldest son, Jeremy, hit his teens I had to increase the amount about every 6 months! Then, we learned to feed him at all you can eat buffets to save on our grocery bill! His first job was at an all you can eat pizza buffet.


Spanish Wieners
1 lg. yellow onion slivered
2Tlb oil
1 1/2 c. ketchup
1 1/4 c. water
1Tlb Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Tlb vinegar
1Tlb. paprika
2Tlb sugar
1Tlb yellow mustard
2 pks wieners cut into penny slices




Saute onions in oil till really tender. Add all ingredients except wieners. Stir well and simmer a few minutes to marry the flavors. Add  wieners and simmer 10-15 minutes or turn it on low, so you can finish watching your favorite episode of Psych. I have to find the hidden pineapple! Darn, that show makes me laugh! 



Serve with french fries, and slices of bread and butter.

Depending on your kids appetite will determine how many this will serve. When the wieners are spreading a little thin I have loaded the plates with fries and bread.

Seriously, I think it will serve 4, but maybe, as many as 10 toddlers! Maybe.... only one soldier or two teenage boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment