Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Taking A Meal To A Grieving Neighbor

Recently heard that our neighbor's daughter committed suicide so I'm spending the day making dinner for them. They are an older couple so I want the food to be comfort food but easy on their stomachs. When I lost my third child to a drunk driver I was brought meals that I couldn't tolerate with my stomach being so upset. Lasagna and spicy food is not what you take to people who are grieving. Their guest might enjoy it, not likely the immediate family.

Here's my advice if you are in the same situation, take them a meal right away and then follow-up a month later with another meal. Everyone tends to disappear 2 weeks after the funeral, but the grieving is still in its critical stage for the next 6-8 weeks. I couldn't function enough to cook at one month  and trying to get ready to go out to eat was very stressful too.

I've decided on chicken and dumplings. My side will be marinated tomatoes, cucumbers, and fresh herbs in a balsamic vinaigrette.

I buy chickens on sell and cut them up myself. I bag the chicken pieces and freeze. The neck, back and wing tips are thrown into a pot with celery, onions, garlic, seasonings (what ever suits your taste) and  water. I simmer this for 1 hour and add 1 Tlb of Ol' Bay seasoning, 2 bay leaves, 1tsp paprika and simmer another hour uncovered. Strain the liquid into freezer bags for all my chicken stock needs.I love homemade stock but I go through it faster then the chicken meat, so I always have to buy canned to keep on hand.




Chicken & Dumplings

Dumplings
2c. all purpose flour
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1tsp thyme
1/2 tsp Tony's Creole Seasoning
1c milk plus 3 Tlb
3Tlb butter
1Tlb parsley
2 green onions sliced thin

Mix the dry ingredients and herbs. Heat milk and butter to a simmer then slowly pour into the dry mixture. Stir till it comes together.

 Line a sheet pan with plastic wrap. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop dumpling mixture on to sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate till ready to add to soup.


Chicken & Sauce
6 c. chicken stock
2 Tlb oil
1stick of butter plus 2 Tlb
3 large boneless chicken breast with skin on
2 carrots diced or 2 c. frozen
6 Tlb flour
1tsp. thyme
1tsp Tony's Creole Seasoning
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. heavy cream
1Tlb parsley
2 green onions sliced thin

Saute onions and carrots in oil & 2 Tlb butter till tender. Remove and set aside. Add chicken in pot on medium heat with skin side down and season with Tony's Creole seasoning, salt and pepper. After browned on both sides remove (it doesn't have to be cooked through) and set aside. Add the skin from the breast back into the pan and continue browning both sides for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and discard skin (though it's hard to resist snacking on it). Add butterand flour to drippings. Stir for about 4 minutes to brown slightly. Remove from heat. Wisk in the chicken stock till smooth.Dice up the cooled chicken meat.  Add everything into pot except the heavy cream. Simmer 10 minutes. Add the dumplings into soup. Cover all the dumplings with the broth, cover and simmer on med low for 15 minutes. Check on the soup half way through to make sure they're not sticking. Add cream last. Check seasonings and add more if needed.



Marinated Tomato Cucumber Salad

1 pint Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
2 Cucumbers cut into quartered slices
1/4 c. red onion
2 green onions sliced
1Tlb fresh parsley
1/4 c. fresh basil
1/4 c. bottled balsamic vinaigrette
Salt & Pepper to taste

Add everything in bowl and pour dressing over and refrigerate an hour before serving.




3 comments:

  1. MMMmmmm sounds so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to try that cucumber salad tonight with the cucumbers that we got on sale.....cant wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try the marinated cucmumbers with different fresh herbs like mint or cilantro. I mix it up to fit the main dish. For Italian, try putting black olives and mushrooms in with the tomatoes and cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete