Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Foodies Unite! The Poor Man's Steak

Oh... so much fun talking to my son Jeremy (he's the GM of a Purple Cow Restaurant in Little Rock, AR) about sauces today!I passed the food gene on to him. I'm glad I contributed something worth wild to him! He told me about some (sauces) that I had never heard of. Charon sauce and his Hollandaise recipe that seems a lot easier then what I've tried in the past. This one you don't have to cook over a double broiler. I'll have photos for later. Now... (hum... thinking) I need to plan dinner around some SAUCES!

4:30pm and I need to get started. I have hamburger thawed out so poor man's steak or hamburger steak with Jeremy's Hollandaise sauce.


His recipe called for a full pound of butter and OMG, it's just the two of us! I tried using 1/4 lb of butter microwaved on defrost for 20 sec. I stirred it into a soft stir-able butter. So far, so good. I then added salt, dash of lemon juice and dash of Tabasco sauce. Here was the problem... his called for 1 egg per pound of butter. Hummm, how do I divide the egg. I went ahead and used the whole egg. It looked great but tasted too much like butter so I added another egg. It separated.



What to do, what to do? I don't want to waste all that yummy butter. So, I tasted the liquid that separated and it was really good. I dumped the liquid into my ground beef, threw in some seasonings, roasted bell pepper and some diced onion.

I shaped into patties and dinner was on!

 
Skillet fried the hamburger 'steaks'. I topped them with some grated Wasabi Cheddar cheese  and a dollop of that yummy butter that wanted to be a Hollandaise sauce. I pan browned the squash in skillet with EVOO till lightly browned. Another dollop on the corn and I was done.
I sliced 2 thick slices of a round zucchini squash and opened a can of corn.
 
Poor Man Steaks with 'Seasoned Butter'

1 lb ground beef
1/2 small onion
3T roasted bell pepper
1T Worcestershire sauce
1T liquid separated from butter and 1 T. of the butter
1t. garlic
Zucchini (round if possible)
1c.corn

Seasoned Butter:
1 stick of butter
1/4 lemon zested
2 t. lemon juice
1t. salt
dash of Tabasco
dash of pepper
2 eggs
Heat butter for 20 seconds in microwave on the defrost setting. Stir until it becomes creamed. Add to food processor with everything but eggs. Pulse and add the eggs. Pulse a few seconds. If it doesn't separate then rename your dish to Poor Man Steaks With Hollidaise Sauce!

Hamburger Steaks
Mix all ingredients and shape into patties. Add into a med/high skillet and cook till no longer pink inside. Add Wasabi Cheddar Cheese on top. Remove from skillet, cover and let rest.
Add the zucchini in a clean skillet with EVOO, dash of garlic, salt and pepper. Cook quickly on med/high. Warm the corn with a tablespoon of the seasoned butter.

Plate with corn on bottom, round squash, hamburger steak and top with a spoon of the seasoned butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment