Friday, August 26, 2011

Lemon Habenero Dessert Poppers

 I was thinking about something for dessert tonight but not wanting all the sugar.
Had a sugar free yellow cake mix, lemons and habanero peppers sitting on the counter and an idea....

 TIP: When I have baked in the past I have had some failures due to my non-stick spray not working. Bunt cakes were the worst! I have found that Pam and Baker's Choice is not the best choice. I found 'Bakers & Chefs' cooking spray with 100% canola oil works every time... without fail... hands down, the best! I found it at Sam's Wholesale Club. (Should be getting ad revenue from that!)

I originally used Paula Deen's recipe (Lemon Blossoms) but it was a little bland. I had to kick it up a notch and give it a new name!

Lemon Habanero Dessert Poppers

1 white cake mix (sugar free cake mixes are AWESOME to save calories)
4 eggs
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 lemon zested
1/4 c. oil

Pepper sauce:
1 small Habanero pepper
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. sugar

Dissolve water and sugar in a small sauce pan on low heat. Wear gloves to remove seeds and membranes from pepper. Dice fine and add to sugar water in pan and heat on low for about 3 minutes. I keep the habanero syrup in a small jar, in frig, to use when I want that citrus heat.

Muffins:
Mix all ingredients together with mixer for several minutes. Adding only a drop at a time of the habanero syrup to batter. Taste until you get the heat you desire. If mixing by hand, use your muscles because it's a stiff batter.
Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick spray. Use a small scoop to drop batter into pan.


Bake 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Turn out on to a cooling rack. Let your pan cool slightly and then reload with the last of the batter. I usually get 30-32 muffins (unless you're a batter eater). Don't overfill or they'll have the shape of mushrooms.

Icing:
2c. powdered sugar
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 lemon zested
Habanero syrup (as desired)
Finishing Salt (sea salt flakes not crystals)

Whip heavy cream adding the powered sugar a little at a time. When it begins to thicken add lemon juice, zest and Habanero syrup to desired heat.

Dip the muffin tops in icing. Sprinkle with a little sea salt (optional).



No comments:

Post a Comment