Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Meatloaf

Meatloaf can bring up painful memories for some. Dry, firm tasteless meat that was shaped, baked, sliced and served to poor little unsuspecting kids. I avoid meatloaves at any social potluck due to past bad experiences. 

Here's a recipe for meatloaf that may change your mind about boring meatloaves. It's moist, and full of robust flavors that will make you want to get seconds.

I've never used a recipe...humm... I rarely ever do. That's why it's challenging for me to write down what all I put in things. A little dab of this and a little dab of that... and maybe that would taste good. Oh, what the heck, I'll throw that in too!

That's how I cook. It frustrates my kids and friends who ask for recipes. This is why I started blogging. Who knows, I might be able to tell my husband to go to my blog and make something for supper one day. And... maybe not.



I start with 1 1/2 pounds ground beef. I like a little fat content or it will be really dry. Save that expensive ground beef for something else.


I chop fresh herbs if I have them. Today, I'm using, fresh from my garden, thyme, parsley, and my very first bell pepper (it's a little small but cute). I can't claim the eggs.




In a large bowl I add ground beef, onions, bell pepper, herbs, 2 eggs, 1Tlb Worcestershire sauce, seasonings (1/2 tsp Tony's creole seasoning, 1/2 tsp. paprika,1/4 tsp. garlic powder,& black pepper),1/4 c. ketchup and 1 heaping Tlb tomato paste.
  And... here's the secret to my moist meatloaf..... 1 can whole tomatoes, crushed and 1/2 reserved to use in the sauce to go on top.                                                


                                                                                 
Crush a sleeve of saltine crackers with a rolling pin. Add to bowl and mix everything till combined. Don't overwork or it can make the meat tough.




Shape into a baking dish.





For the sauce, mix 1/2 c. mild jarred salsa, the reserved tomatoes, 3Tlb. brown sugar and 1 c. ketchup.


Smear on enough sauce to cover the top of meat. Open 2 cans pork-n-beans and pour down the sides.

OR..... 2 cans of green beans (drained) for a more traditional meal.


Add the remaining sauce over the beans mixing slightly.
Bake in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours. I'm at 7000 feet altitude so, I have to cook for an extra half hour.

 If you use green beans instead of pork-in-beans, you'll love how the sauce flavors the green beans!

Oh.... there will be meatloaf sandwiches for lunch this week! Hummm... Some pickle, lettuse, tomato, onion and a slice of american cheese! Place the meatloaf slice on bread with the cheese and broil till hot and bubbly. Add the cold veggies with some mayo and comfort food joins you for lunch time.


RECIPE:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1Tlb. Worcestershire sauce
1 bell pepper diced
1med onion diced
1tsp. dried thyme (or fresh)
2Tlb dried parsley (or fresh)
1/2 tsp Tony's Creole seasoning (or season salt)
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
black pepper to taste
1/4 c. ketchup
1 heaping Tlb tomato paste
1 can whole tomatoes crushed (half reserved for sauce)
2 eggs
1sleeve crushed saltines



SAUCE:
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. jarred mild salsa
1/2 can whole tomatoes crushed
3 Tlb brown sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment